Thursday, October 22, 2009

How Not To Go Up Repack



Trying to go up Repack in Cascade Canyon is a bad idea, but my ungrateful progeny's unwillingness to provide car transport to Pine Ridge forced the issue.

I suppose I should have brought a map, so that I would have reduced the likelihood of going up Cascade Canyon . . . 

and taking a right on Blue Ridge Fire Road:

But I've gotten used to things like pushing my bike up a mile and a half of 40% grade consisting of recently washed riverbed, mud, and slippery rock.

Nice views . . . . 

Steep . . . . 

Apparently not well maintained:

Here's what it looks like after you get around the tree:

And the wrong trail:

Son of a . . . . this was like having a nightmare about trying to ride the up a down escalator with 4 foot stairs, only to wake up in Tamarancho.  Without the damned day pass . . . . 

Wagon Wheel--the mere thought of which I detest--seemed like the best way out.

An attempt to shortcut B-17  . . . . 

put me right on the fire road that's off limits to non-Boy Scouts . . . . 

eventually ran into Goldman, thence to Alchemist, and several miles off to where I had parked my car.

God damn it!

No comments: